Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Vintage Source

Jessica and I took a drive down to Compton, MD in St. Mary's County to check out the once a month weekend sale of antique and vintage furnishings at The Vintage Source. The store opens at 8:00 a.m. We got there shortly before 9:00 which all but guaranteed that the items we fell in love with were either marked "SOLD" or were missing their tags - which meant someone was planning on buying! What a great place to go for ideas and fantastic finds.

Jessica loved this for her entryway but there was no tag - meaning someone else was coveting her item!

I took some pictures of items we admired but my camera battery died (story of my life) so I wasn't able to get as many photos as I would have liked. Jessica spent the entire time we were there, and most of the day, obsessing about a huge wrought iron gate, that she called a screen, that would look fantastic on the empty wall in her living room. The thing probably weighed 300 lbs., and was bigger than my rather large vehicle, so we had to leave it. And she second-guessed herself all day.

The wrought iron gate against the wall is the "screen" Jessica wants for her living room.


I fell in love with a couple of pieces but I've committed to not spending any money until I finish painting. I did walk around for awhile with an apothecary jar that held a coral-colored seashell ornament inside. Jessica reminded me that I could buy the jar at Homegoods for less, and that what really drew me to it was the ornament. They were not for sale separately. Plus the line was really long and didn't seem worth it for that one item.

The unpurchased apothecary jar with the seashell ornament, and someone's leg!

I've been looking for a vanity for Maddie's room and they had a lovely vintage vanity that was painted orange and would have been perfect for her, but the tag was missing. And there was a lovely woman camped out there waiting to see if the tag would return. We were rooting for her, but finally a boy came over and put a SOLD sign on it. We saw her later at another shop we stopped at and discussed the unfairness of it all.

We were so happy to find this great place and can't wait to go back. I posted on my Facebook page this morning that we were headed there, and heard from several of my deal-hunting friends that they were not aware of The Vintage Source. It's alway fun being the first to know! They are open again tomorrow and on the third weekend of every month.

I fell in love with this table. Fortunately there was no tag or I might have broken my no purchase vow!

No comments:

Post a Comment