Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Looking at Retirement or Something Like It

When I posted in the New Year, I was really looking forward to being able to write about the pending sale of my business. I knew that I had been given a preliminary contract which forbade me from talking about the negotiations publicly, so I figured I would wait until I could talk about it. In the meantime, or so I thought, I would write about all the other things that were happening. When I posted in January it was about getting pink eye for the first time. What I didn't realize then is that I would have several more rounds of it before the infection cleared. I was miserable. And so happy once it finally cleared only to discover that my tear ducts had completely closed, which left me unable to wear makeup and tearing constantly.

Factoid: Our tears do not come from our tear ducts; our tear ducts are their to drain our tears. And they are part of our sinuses. You hear about babies having tear duct surgery but rarely adults. So, of course, this happens to me because I can't just get normal crap like most people. Several years ago when I almost died of C-diff colitis, my research basically said only geriatrics and toddlers come down with this, not healthy 40-somethings. What can I say - I have to stand out somewhere. So yeah - not blocked tear ducts, but closed tear ducts. My eye doctor TWICE performs a procedure where he takes tiny little snippers and snips open the opening to my tear ducts. Within a few days of each procedure, they close up again. So about a month ago (mind you people, I have worn minimal makeup since Christmas 2014. Thank goodness I have John because it's scary, trust me), I have real surgery - general anesthetic included - where they insert tubes into my tear ducts that look like fishing line and tie them off inside my sinuses. Seriously. Here's what it looks like:


You can see the tube running from the top tear duct to the bottom. This is not my eye, but that's what it looks like. For 7 weeks. I'm in week 3 and I don't know if this is working. Still lots of itching and watering. If this doesn't work the next step is more invasive sinus surgery where they make an incision on the sides of your nose near your eyes. Let's not talk about that now.

The point of this was simply to state that I was so excited that I was going to be writing about all the things that have been happening in my life but I wasn't able because I couldn't talk about the possible sale of the business and plus one is not really up for writing blogs when they can barely see. So ten months after my first bout of pink eye, I'm not really sure what's up with my eyes but there are a few milestones that I plan to write about in the upcoming posts:

1. I did sell my business. After 14 years of wondering what my exit strategy would be,  it showed up looking for me.
2. John and I have set a wedding date - June 4.
3. We're researching possible retirement moves to the south. More on our trip to Wilmington, NC soon.
4. My daughter is finally at her dream college and I'm a somewhat empty nester.

So much more. But I'll leave things here for now. I've missed putting my thoughts down. More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment